Recharge your energy after a busy day!
In just one short evening session of dancing, music and socializing – all in one activity – you’ll fill your body and mind with positive energy for the whole week.
I can handle my challenges at work because of my weekly dose of Swing dance classes – Antje K.
It’s easy to join because:
- You do not need any previous knowledge for any of the courses on this page.
- Come dressed as you are! No specific shoes or clothes needed.
- If you miss a class there is a video summary that you can catch up
- When you finish Swing 1, you can join Swing 2.
- No risk thanks to our 100 % money-back-guarantee!
Kurs10.00 €per hour
• 3*85 minutes: 45 €
• sign up with a partner
• 3 video recaps
How can you join? Click the tabs for more information:
Lindy hop evolved out of the Charleston; we will follow this natural evolution, and start with basic Charleston steps that are as easy as walking. We’ll take you step-by-step through 6 weeks of learning the basics of swing dancing, taking you from simple side-by-side Charleston movements into the swinging rhythms of Lindy Hop.
Already in the first course, you’ll learn what makes Lindy Hop so special. It manages to combine the structures of partner dancing – like dancing in closed position, or across from and criss-crossing past each other – combined with the freedom of self-expression and creativity that lets you make the dance your own and make your partner smile.
Each of these moves will come with its own fun variations, but this checklist shows the fundamental moves you’ll learn in the class. Once you know these, you’re ready to move on to the next level.
- -connection in social dancing: rhythmical, visual, physical, emotional
- charleston, side-by-side: basics; kick the dog; freezes & play
- charleston, opening up: sendout, take-in; open position basic; follower’s and leader’s underarm turn
- lindy hop: side-by-side basics; half-turn; sendout, take-in; slingshot
No experience needed! Whether you’ve taken a few taster classes already, or have never danced before at all, this course is a great start.
Message for newcomers and fast learners: If you already have some experience or learn quickly, talk with your teachers or email us at [email protected] Perhaps taking one private lesson and jumping into a higher-level course would be a great fit for you.
Course Format: 3 or 6 weeks
Our usual courses are designed for you to book and join for 6 weeks in a row. Because of the Corona situation we’ve decided to offer a little more flexibility.
Every course is split into two, separately bookable, halves of 3 weeks each.
Of course we recommend that you take both halves, and over 6 weeks then you’ll have completed the full course. But in case that’s not possible for you at the moment, you can also just book one half. It doesn’t matter which – we’ll teach the material so that you can do only the second half and then catch up on your missing first half in a later course round.
If you have any questions please just ask us, we’re happy to help.
Social Dancing Starter Kit29.10. - 03.12.2020Thursday , 18:45-20:106 x 85 minutes
with Ananda and SlavaPrice - 85€
Language of instruction:
As needed (EN / DE)
Social Dancing Starter Kit30.10. - 04.12.2020Friday , 20:35-22:006 x 85 minutesPrice - 85€
Language of instruction:
As needed (EN / DE)
- All videos are pre-recorded so that you can watch them and train at your own convenience.
- You’ll get 12 months of access to the videos, and we offer online live support.
- Try it out for free!
Beginner Weekend ELEF
Think you want to try swing dancing, but you’re not sure? Want to try out a weekender before you commit to a full course? Or maybe you know for sure that you want to dance, but you’re just not sure which dance role is right for you? Then join our Beginner Weekend ELEF!
Over 4 hours (2 hours per day) you’ll learn the basics of swing dancing in both roles. Technique and moves, partner connection in social dancing, how to be playful with your partner, and of course lots of fun variations.
What is ELEF?
ELEF = Everybody Leads, Everybody Follows… we regularly change partners in all our courses; with ELEF we’ll also regularly change dance roles. Which means: in this workshop you’ll learn both roles and you’ll dance with everyone in class!
Private lessons are perfect, if
- you want to learn your first dance steps in calm environment where you can only focus on yourself. This way you feel more confident in a group class afterwards.
- you want to learn Swing but don’t have time for regular evening classes.
- you are already taking classes but want to train more intensively with a teacher and you are interested in getting more individual feedback
- you plan a show (e.g. a special wedding dance) with your partner. We are happy to help you with your choreography and choosing the music.
A private lesson is typically 60 minutes long and takes place in our SwingStep studio. You decide which topic you want to work on! That could include technique, variations & styling for Lindy Hop, Charleston, Solo Jazz, Blues… even aerials!
Please send your booking request to [email protected]
About In-Studio Classes and Events During Corona
How will Partner Dancing Work?
We ask that you please find a fixed partner for all your courses. In case that’s not possible, we’ll allow you to book courses with a maximum of 2 different partners within any 6-week period (i.e. 2 course rounds). For example: Thomas and Felix dance together in course round 1 in Course X on Tuesday, and on Thursday Felix is busy so Thomas dances with Claudia. In the next course round Thomas can sign up with Felix or with Claudia, but not with anyone else. (Ideally Thomas would do all courses only with Felix.)
Course Size and Distance
For that reason we’ll keep our squares on the floor, within which each couple can dance during the partnered courses; this way we can ensure that the 1.5m distance between couples can be easily kept. This means that we allow a maximum of 14 people plus teacher into any course.
Please make sure to wear a mask in the hallway and when using the bathroom. You can take it off as soon as you reach your dance area. While dancing you don’t have to wear a mask.
Contact Tracing / Your Responsibility / Regulations
We will keep contact information from each participant (name, address or phone number, course time) for 4 weeks, so that in case of an infection the chain of possible further infections can be traced properly. Please only register for a course, if you are willing to give us this information; we’ll contact you about any information as needed.
When you sign up and participate in our courses, you do this at your own risk. We’ll do all we can to make it as safe as possible, but of course we cannot make any guarantee. By participating, you acknowledge that you’re aware of the risk and that SwingStep GmbH can’t be held responsible for possible infections.
You also promise that you will follow our hygiene rules, to protect yourself and others.
Answers to the most important questions
ATTENTION: Due to recent circumstances there is no free practice time, and no parallel courses.
What do Leader / Follower mean?
In Lindy Hop, we dance with a partner. We talk about leaders and followers. Leaders make suggestions about where to go, and followers decide where to move. We like to use this analogy: The follower is driving the car. The leader has the map. The leader is offering directions and the follow is choosing how to interpret them. Both people are working together to get to the same place. The leader adapts how they give directions based on how the follower decided to interpret them.
It’s true that a majority of men mostly lead and most women mostly follow, but we see the roles as not gendered. So it doesn’t matter if you identify as a man or a woman or otherwise, you can dance either or both roles.
In order for the leader-follower balance to work in class, we ask that you register in one role and dance that role for the full course you registered for; if you’re interested in trying out the other and have questions then feel free to talk to your teachers or send us an email.
(Oli, Kris, and Anna from SwingStep)
Oli, the guy in the hat, is leading
Kris and Anna are following
(Al Minns and Leon James)
The one flying through the air is following ;)
The woman in black shoes is leading
The woman in white shoes is following
Is it a huge problem, if I can’t make it to a class?
As the classes build up on each other you possibly shouldn’t miss any of them. But of course it can happen, so we have some possibilities to catch up:
- After each class we record a short video recap (2 minutes) that we will send to you afterwards.
- You can practice the material, for example fridays 8.15pm-10pm in our free practice time or at home.
- If there is a parallel course, we give you the possibility to take the class on another day. Just drop by and inform the teachers on the spot. You can bring a partner if he / she has done the material of the class already.
What can I do if I struggle with the material or the intensity of the class?
The short answer: Don’t hesitate to talk to us, as soon as you struggle or there is any confusion – we are happy to help you.
But here are some concrete ideas how we can help you in specific situations:
- If you struggle with a specific move in class, ask for help or feedback immediately – probably your teachers have the tips that you need.
- If you are having a hard time catching up with the material, drop by during the free practice time (see calendar). Here you can practice alone, with partner or with a group. Sometimes there are also teachers around. Feel free to talk to them, they can for example show you short exercises that you can do at home on a regular basis.
- Often it is a good idea to train within a group and motivate each other. Why don’t you make a training group with some of your classmates and dance friends? (Tip: ask around on facebook! In Berlin, use the SwingStep students’ group “SwingStep Berlin – Group”. In Heidelberg use the community group “Heidelberg Swingt”.)
- A very helpful fasttrack are private classes, where we can offer tailormade classes with a lot of individual feedback. click here for more infos or talk to your teachers directly.
What happens once I am done with a course?
We mostly try to give a follow up course for your group, so you don’t need to worry about changing your schedule every 6 weeks. It doesn’t always work, but normally you can trust that your next course will be same day, same time, same place. So all you need to do is sign up in time.
I would like to go to a non-SwingStep workshop – how can I find out which level to sign up for?
From our experience the prerequisites in different schools, cities and on international workshops are quite varying. If you want to get a recommendation where to sign up, feel free to ask us. If you plan to come by during a free practice, write us an e-mail so we can coordinate that there is someone there for you.
Where do I go?
Studio im Wedding
Through the big gate. If it’s locked, ring the bell :)
Is this something for me?
If you see yourself as:
- a busy person who wants to combine physical activity, music, laughter and being with people, all in one short activity.
- an active person who would do many more cultural and sports activities if you had more time.
- an independent person who loves to do activities with other people, but doesn’t want to have to rely on other people to join an activity.
If you connect to any of these qualities, this dance is FOR YOU!
At a swing dance party you have the choice of how you want to spend your time, how you want to connect with people. You can sit down with somebody and have a deep conversation about your favourite topic, or if you’re not the chatty type you can skip all of that and just invite people to dance.
ATTENTION: Due to recent circumstances we don’t have swing dance parties untill further notice.
What is Swing dancing?
What makes this dance so unique is that it takes the best of two worlds: the technique and structure of classic couples’ dancing combined with the freedom of self-expression that you can have when dancing alone!
You can dance in a soft comfortable way enjoying the fluidity and creativity you experience with your partner. Or, you can dance it hard and sporty. How do you feel today? With us you learn the techniques that allow you to choose exactly how you’d like to dance.
Click here to read more about the dance.
Not sure yet?
Try it right now for FREE from home without anyone watching!
We have created two beginners’ swing dance instructional videos; they teach you some of the basic steps, movements and concepts that we teach in our beginner classes. You can get instant access to all this material if you log into our membership area. Again, this is all for free!
The benefits are that you can:
- see right now if you like what and how we teach.
- try a bit for yourself so that when you come to class you feel more confident
- you can get something out of the videos with or without a partner
This is how it works:
The beginner-videos are currently not available. Stay tuned!
What goes into each class?
In many ways SwingStep is unique in Europe. Here are just a few of the reasons we believe you’ll have an amazing experience.
Our teachers focus on what we believe is the coolest form of Swing – the Lindy Hop!
True mastery of a topic comes from deep focus: our teachers have been actively developing their dancing and teaching skills for years, and bring all this experience to you in class. Because we focus your classes only on Lindy hop, we can react quickly to your feedback, and continuously improve our classes to help you learn good technique in the most simple and enjoyable way!
Across SwingStep schools in Berlin and Heidelberg, we have 8 FULL-TIME members who spend forty hours per week developing your swing dance experience. We are continuously developing our class schedules, content, techniques and teaching systems. When someone has an idea for a class or a new method of teaching, we test and review it together to analyse it from every angle until the good ideas are polished into a gem!
All teachers have their individual “superpowers” that improve your experience in a different way. You can read more about them here: Team Superpowers
SwingStep founders Ali&Katja are a passionate and inspiring presence in the European Lindy Hop scene. They are invited 35 weekends a year since 2013, to train dancers all over Europe in their dance and teaching philosophy.
This is what organizers in Switzerland say about us:
Katja and Ali stand out as teachers who have developed their very own approaches to explaining dance techniques in Lindy Hop. Afters years and years of constant development of their ides and classes, their school of dancing has gained many followers. – organizers of Leapin Lindy (2016 edition).
For more about Ali&Katja, check out their website: aliandkatja.com.
We have two other communities who work very closely with us to develop our teaching system: “Swing It” in Tel Aviv, Israel with Ron and his team, and “Little Big Apple” in Lisbon, Portugal with David and Catia and their team.
Both schools have worked closely with the SwingStep team for several years. As we work on the same platform, the best ideas from each school can easily be used in the other schools. If you have heard about “Party Mode” in one of our classes, that’s because we saw the amazing results it had in Tel Aviv!
Any questions? Write us an email: [email protected] or call us: +49 (0) 30 - 40 36 4 36 36*
* We generally prefer and respond quicker if you contact us via e-mail. If you leave us a message with contact information on our voicemail we are going to call you back as soon as possible, but it might take some days.