Dieser Inhalt ist zur Zeit nur in Englisch verfügbar. Wir arbeiten daran, alle unsere Inhalte zu übersetzen. Solange kannst du Google nach Hilfe fragen :)
Are you looking for a goal-oriented challenge that brings you beyond your weekly social dance classes and would you enjoy showing your dancing skills in front of an audience? Then you should check out our new project:
Make show a part of your culture
Lindy Hop is not all about social dancing. It started in the big ballrooms in Harlem, but quickly found its way onto the show stages and into the movie theatres. This is why a big part of the modern Lindy Hop community is about performing and competing. Be it in a casual context during a local dance party, showing off your skills on a big international Lindy Hop festival or actually earning your money performing on events that book you as an entertainment act – the stage can be your home!
Become a more successful dancer
Some of the biggest Lindy communities, like London and Montreal, have been running successful show troupes for many years and those are often the names you hear first, when it comes to international dancing competitions. Our new project, creating a stable show troupe in Berlin, gives you the chance to explore exactly this part of Lindy Hop. You can be part of a group that practices on a weekly basis, learns amazing routines and acquire the skills that are needed to perform them in a professional fashion.
Be a part of something big
– from the start
The goal of this troupe is to stay together and make its way to a level where we are present on bigger dance festivals and hired for paid gigs outside the Lindy Hop community. Our first step is to create a performance that is ready for the audience on our premiere during the Time to Shine: “Choreo Jam” on June 30th, which is in roughly 3 months from now. But this shall just the beginning of our journey…
Are you interested in joining the show troupe? Here you find some more details about what to expect and how you can take part:
This show troupe is for you, if you want to be part of a group where the individual dance level is not as important as the ability to work together. The basic level or our performances will be based on the overall skills within the troupe members and for the more advanced dancers we will add variations and spotlights to make sure that everyone is challenged at their level inside the trainings. To make the whole group work well together we ask for some basic requirements from you:
- Dancewise you should by now have developed skills such as moderate rhythm & movement qualities and a solid repertoire of basic moves, including Swing Outs to medium tempo (160+bpm) and being comfortable to dance Charleston Kicks on high tempo (200+bpm). Also some basic solo dancing knowledge will help you to learn the choreographies faster.
- You should be eager to work on your dancing on a regular basis, both inside and outside of the troupe structure (regular social dancing, personal training, international festivals…).
- The main quality that we are looking for is not your absolute dance level, but your dedication and your will to learn with a group and see the progress of the whole group as important as your own progress.
If you are not sure wether you fit those descriptions, we invite you to talk to one of us to get advice.
To ensure a good flow within the group we are going to hold an audition (Thursday, 13th of April, at 18:00 in Tanzbar). During this audition you will learn a short Lindy Hop group routine and perform it inside the group.
- 2,5 hrs of guided learning with the teachers (thursdays 18.00-20.30).
- 1,5 hrs of individual training without teachers (mondays 19-20.30)
- Since we all work towards a common goal with our first performance on June 30th, you should be confident that you can make most of these trainings for the next 3 months.
- It is in your responsibility to keep up with the learning speed of the group, even if it means additional individual trainings.
- This is a show troupe and the only goal is to create great performances, developed for audiences. This means that all trainings will focus on learning choreography and diverse performance skills. There will be no social dancing (except in the breaks) ;)
- Since our trainings can have quite a high intensity, each training will include a warm-up and cool-down with regard to the to the intensity of the upcoming training. During your individual trainings we recommend you to implement the training habits you learn with us.
- Learning aerials can be a part of the show troupe training, but doing aerials is not a necessity to join the troupe.
We, Ananda, Leon and Oli, are looking forward to this project. Already since a while we have had the dream of creating a bigger focus on performances within the Berlin Swing dance community, because all three of us love performing ourselves. We also hope that this troupe provides a new opportunity for dancers that want to seek their challenges outside of local classes.
- The show troupe training will cost you 50€ / month for 4hrs of weekly training. The monthly payment is independent from the actual amounts of training during this month. This means, that sometimes there are five weeks of training and sometimes only three.
- The audition will act as the first training, but if you fail the audition there is no need to pay the class.
- Passing the audition, there will be a 2 week trial period during which you can still find out, if the troupe is the right thing for you (or vice versa).
After that, cancellation can happen on a monthly basis, 3 weeks notice in advance, but we really recommend you to only commit to the troupe if you feel confident that you will at least commit to it until the first performance (end of june).
- Costs for costumes and other bigger expenses related to the performances (eg. travelling to a performance outside of Berlin) will be covered by SwingStep.
- In the future we are planning to have paid gigs. In this case each performer on stage will get a financial compensation (details will follow).
- Being part of the show troupe is no guarantee to perform. It is your responsibility to be ready for a performance. If a gig can only accommodate a limited amount of performers, then it is the teachers or troupe leaders decision to select the most suitable candidates out of the group.
In order to join the show troupe, you simply have to follow these two steps:
- Fill out the application form (link below, click on „apply now“).
- Come to the audition on Thursday, 13th of April, at 18:00 in Tanzbar, Rudolfstr. 1 (U-Warschauer Str.)
Here are the key facts one more time
- Trainings will happen twice a week:
Thursday, 18.00-20.30 (starting 20.4.): 2,5 hrs with teachers
Monday, 19.00-20.30 (starting 24.4.): 1,5 hrs individual
- The first performance will be on Friday, June 30th
- Monthly costs are only 50€ and cover expenses like costumes
The trainings are very close to our main studio
The trainings (except the audition) will happen in the lovely Bebop dance studio, which is only a 10 minute walk (or one U-Bahn station) away from Tanzbar. This means that you can easily combine troupe training with other stuff happening in the main studio on the same evening (ie. Monday Social).