Homework references for Full-pass subscribers on Swingstep.tv
Homework for Program A
Please use these videos to train and prepare for program A of the in-person weekend:
- 1. Proprioceptive training and movement from the hips
- This entire video will serve you very well for the workshop. Practice everything up to the routine (the solo routine at the end is not necessary for the workshop; consider it a bonus that you can work on if you like).
- 2a. For followers: training tuck turn spins
- please begin with the short training session in this video; start at time stamp 1:15:10 – use the chapter headings (three lines at the bottom right of the video player) and look for “Topic: Training Turns”.
- in the next video please also do the longer training session on the same topic; start just after the warmup and go until 26:20.
- 2b. For leaders: positioning training
- Please work on the concepts in this video in order to be comfortable with different kinds of positioning towards your follower. If you want to, you can do the entire class, but chapter 12 is the most important part for our workshop – go to time stamp 51:11, or use the chapter headings (three lines at the bottom right of the video player) and look for “Level 3 Movements”.
- 3. Elements of the Al & Leon Shim Sham and other Solo Jazz
- The first video in the Al & Leon Shim Sham series has a lot of great fundamentals that we think you will enjoy, but we especially want you to focus on the Tacky Annie combo (begins at time stamp 32:32 – chapter 10).
- We also want you to be familiar with the combo of heel dig with walks in the final video (timestamp: 37:28, chapter 11).
- 4. Charleston swing out and beyond
- We think the entire video of Swing6 Class6 will be valuable to you, but if you are short on time and you already know the Charleston swing out itself (chapter 6), then you could skip ahead to the variations beginning at timestamp 32:04 (chapter 10, “Follower’s Kick-away”).
Homework for Program B
Please use these videos to train and prepare for program B of the in-person weekend:
- 1. Switches Training
- We delve into switches in our Swing4 course.
- Switches are introduced in this video starting at timestamp 35:37 (chapter 9) and continue until the end of the class; if you already know switches, this video is optional for you.
- We want you to use this entire video for your switches, in order to do some detailed switches training and learn a few variations on how to exit the move.
- 2. Airplane Charleston and more
- Please work on the moves and concepts in this video all about “opposite” airplane Charleston.
- If you are new to airplane Charleston, you might also want to use this video (start at time stamp 20:40, chapter 8).
- If you need a reminder of hand-to-hand Charleston, then use this video (start at time stamp 14:42, chapter 4).
- 3. TOBA break
- We want you to become very comfortable with dancing the TOBA break. You can find it in this video from our Al & Leon Shim Sham course (timestamp 25:46, chapter 9), or perhaps you might prefer the breakdown in this bonus training video; whatever works best for you to be comfortable with this break.
- Bonus: it would be great if you can take a little time to familiarise yourself with two other classic breaks.