RECHARGE YOUR ENERGY AFTER A BUSY DAY!
In just one short evening session of dancing, music and socializing – all in one activity – you’ll fill your body and mind with positive energy for the whole week.
I can handle my challenges at work because of my weekly dose of Swing dance classes – Antje K.
It’s easy to join because:
- You don’t need to bring a partner. We always rotate dance partners during classes and make sure to have balanced classes.
- You do not need any previous knowledge for any of the courses on this page.
- Come dressed as you are! No specific shoes or clothes needed.
- If you miss a class there is both a video summary and free practice time that you can visit to catch up
- When you finish Swing 1, you can join Swing 2… at the same day and hour.
- No risk thanks to our 100 % money-back-guarantee!
What should I wear?
Because Lindy Hop is a social dance, it’s not necessary to change into special dance clothing; most people just come as they are. Bringing an extra shirt to change into when you got sweaty can be a good idea. If you’d like to know more about dress-codes, click here.
How can you join? Click the tabs for more information:
The best courses for beginners
Our regular courses are on summer break. But don’t worry! You can start dancing in summer too, with a Crash Course…
Swing 1 July
Crash Course, Social Dancing Starter Kit
Tuesdays and Wednesdays in July, from 19:00 to 20:25
Dates: 10th, 11th, 17th, and 18th of July
Swing 1 September
Crash Course, Social Dancing Starter Kit
Wednesdays and Thursdays in September, from 19:00 to 20:25
Dates: 5th, 6th, 12th, and 13th of September
The crash courses are part of our “Sommer Uni” program. For 59€ you can take not only the Crash Course, but you actually have a flat-rate for all courses at your level. For example, after Swing 1 you can keep going with Swing 2! Or learn a Solo Jazz Routine! And everything is included in the price.
Every course contains the following extras:
• video summaries
• free practice time on Fridays
First Saturday Swing
There’s a taster class for beginners before the monthly party of German Swing Dance Society e.V. Come by, take the class and party with us!
When: every first Saturday of the month
Next date: check our Calendar
Entrance: 4 € (including the taster class)
Taster: 20:00, no partner necessary
Party: from 20:45
Where, Oct. to June: TSC Grün-Gold, Hans-Bunte-Str. 6
Where, July to Sept.: SwingStation: Kurfürsten-Anlage 58
Every Friday from 20:00 to 21:30 all course participants are welcome to use the SwingStation studio for dance practice. Bring your friends from class or come by yourself and find a partner on-site. Feel free to train what you have learned in class or try out new moves you have seen on the dance floor or on youtube. During that time a team member will be present to answer your questions, help you figure out a move and – last but not least – play some music.
You can also use the Friday Practice time to book a free mini-private lesson with one of our teachers (10-20 minutes). You can come with or without a partner, just let us know via email, when you want to come: email@example.com.
When: Fridays, 20:00 – 21:30
Where: at the SwingStation Studio
Kurfürsten-Anlage 58, 69115 Heidelberg
The entrance is on the eastern side of the building (toward Stadtwerke), nicely reachable from the Kurfürsten-Anlage itself or from the Kirchstraße.
Public Transportation: #5, 21, 23, 24, 26, Stops “Hauptbahnhof” or “Stadtwerke”.
Parking: street parking, best-found in the Kirchstraße. (Please do not park in the yard.)
Private lesson are perfect, if
- you want to learn your first dance steps in calm environment where you can only focus on yourself. This way you feel more confident in a group class afterwards.
- you want to learn Swing but don’t have time for regular evening classes.
- you are already taking classes but want to train more intensively with a teacher and you are interested in getting more individual feedback
- you plan a show (e.g. a special wedding dance) with your partner. We are happy to help you with your choreography and choosing the music.
A private lesson is typically 60 minutes long and takes place in our SwingStep studio. You decide which topic you want to work on! That could include technique, variations & styling for Lindy Hop, Charleston, Solo Jazz, Blues… even aerials!
1 Trainer – and you: 45 Euro
1 Trainer – you and your dance partner: 55 Euro
2 Trainer – and you: 60 Euro
2 Trainer – you and your dance partner: 70 Euro
1 Trainer – and you: 55 Euro
1 Trainer – you and your dance partner: 65 Euro
2 Trainer – and you: 75 Euro
2 Trainer – you and your dance partner: 85 Euro
Please send your booking request to firstname.lastname@example.org
Group Privates: You don’t live in Heidelberg and want to make the most of your visit? You can book private workshop together with your friends for an evening or weekend. Price upon request.
Wedding dance: You don’t want to dance the same old waltz at THE day of your live, but a lively swing choreo? Prices depend on time and effort. An example: For a couple who has been dancing swing for a few months: 150€ for choreographing (and possible music editing), plus 3 private lessons for rehearsals.
The routine remains intellectual property of SwingStep.
Answers to the most important questions
What do Leader / Follower mean?
In Lindy Hop, we dance with a partner. We talk about leaders and followers. Leaders make suggestions about where to go, and followers decide where to move. We like to use this analogy: The follower is driving the car. The leader has the map. The leader is offering directions and the follow is choosing how to interpret them. Both people are working together to get to the same place. The leader adapts how they give directions based on how the follower decided to interpret them.
It’s true that a majority of men mostly lead and most women mostly follow, but we see the roles as not gendered. So it doesn’t matter if you identify as a man or a woman or otherwise, you can dance either or both roles.
In order for the leader-follower balance to work in class, we ask that you register in one role and dance that role for the full course you registered for; if you’re interested in trying out the other and have questions then feel free to talk to your teachers or send us an email.
(Oli, Kris, and Anna from SwingStep)
Oli, the guy in the hat, is leading
Kris and Anna are following
(Al Minns and Leon James)
The one flying through the air is following ;)
The woman in black shoes is leading
The woman in white shoes is following
Is it a huge problem, if I can’t make it to a class?
As the classes build up on each other you possibly shouldn’t miss any of them. But of course it can happen, so we have some possibilities to catch up:
- After each class we record a short video recap (2 minutes) that we will send to you afterwards.
- You can practice the material, for example fridays 8.15pm-10pm in our free practice time or at home.
- If there is a parallel course, we give you the possibility to take the class on another day. Just drop by and inform the teachers on the spot. You can bring a partner if he / she has done the material of the class already.
What can I do if I struggle with the material or the intensity of the class?
The short answer: Don’t hesitate to talk to us, as soon as you struggle or there is any confusion – we are happy to help you.
But here are some concrete ideas how we can help you in specific situations:
- If you struggle with a specific move in class, ask for help or feedback immediately – probably your teachers have the tips that you need.
- If you are having a hard time catching up with the material, drop by during the free practice time. Here we can give you more of our time than in the class itself. We can for example show you short exercises that you can also do at home on a regular basis.
- Often it is a good idea to train within a group and motivate each other. Why don’t you make a training group with some of your classmates and dance friends (Tip: We have a FB group for that purpose)?
- A very helpful fasttrack are private classes, where we can offer tailormade classes with a lot of individual feedback. click here for more infos or talk to your teachers directly.
What happens once I am done with a course?
We mostly try to give a follow up course for your group, so you don’t need to worry about changing your schedule every 6 weeks. It doesn’t always work, but normally you can trust that your next course will be same day, same time, same place. So all you need to do is sign up in time.
I would like to go to a non-SwingStep workshop – how can I find out which level to sign up for?
From our experience the prerequisites in different schools, cities and on international workshops are quite varying. If you want to get a recommendation where to sign up, feel free to ask us. If you plan to come by during a free practice, write us an e-mail so we can coordinate that there is someone there for you.
Is this something for me?
If you see yourself as:
- a busy person who wants to combine physical activity, music, laughter and being with people, all in one short activity.
- an active person who would do many more cultural and sports activities if you had more time.
- an independent person who loves to do activities with other people, but doesn’t want to have to rely on other people to join an activity.
If you connect to any of these qualities, this dance is FOR YOU!
What is Swing dancing?
What makes this dance so unique is that it takes the best of two worlds: the technique and structure of classic couples’ dancing combined with the freedom of self-expression that you can have when dancing alone!
You can dance in a soft comfortable way enjoying the fluidity and creativity you experience with your partner. Or, you can dance it hard and sporty. How do you feel today? With us you learn the techniques that allow you to choose exactly how you’d like to dance.
Click here to read more about the dance.
Not sure yet?
Try it right now for FREE from home without anyone watching!
We have created two beginners’ swing dance instructional videos; they teach you some of the basic steps, movements and concepts that we teach in our beginner classes. You can get instant access to all this material if you log into our membership area. Again, this is all for free!
The benefits are that you can:
- see right now if you like what and how we teach.
- try a bit for yourself so that when you come to class you feel more confident
- you can get something out of the videos with or without a partner
This is how it works:
The beginner-videos are currently not available. Stay tuned!
What goes into each class?
In many ways SwingStep is unique in Europe. Here are just a few of the reasons we believe you’ll have an amazing experience.
Our teachers focus on what we believe is the coolest form of Swing – the Lindy Hop!
True mastery of a topic comes from deep focus: our teachers have been actively developing their dancing and teaching skills for years, and bring all this experience to you in class. Because we focus your classes only on Lindy hop, we can react quickly to your feedback, and continuously improve our classes to help you learn good technique in the most simple and enjoyable way!
Across SwingStep schools in Berlin and Heidelberg, we have 8 FULL-TIME members who spend forty hours per week developing your swing dance experience. We are continuously developing our class schedules, content, techniques and teaching systems. When someone has an idea for a class or a new method of teaching, we test and review it together to analyse it from every angle until the good ideas are polished into a gem!
All teachers have their individual “superpowers” that improve your experience in a different way. You can read more about them here: Team Superpowers
SwingStep founders Ali&Katja are a passionate and inspiring presence in the European Lindy Hop scene. They are invited 35 weekends a year since 2013, to train dancers all over Europe in their dance and teaching philosophy.
This is what organizers in Switzerland say about us:
Katja and Ali stand out as teachers who have developed their very own approaches to explaining dance techniques in Lindy Hop. Afters years and years of constant development of their ides and classes, their school of dancing has gained many followers. – organizers of Leapin Lindy (2016 edition).
For more about Ali&Katja, check out their website: aliandkatja.com.
We have two other communities who work very closely with us to develop our teaching system: “Holy Lindy Land” in Tel Aviv, Israel with Ron and his team, and “Little Big Apple” in Lisbon, Portugal with David and Catia and their team.
Both schools have worked closely with the SwingStep team for several years. As we work on the same platform, the best ideas from each school can easily be used in the other schools. If you have heard about “Party Mode” in one of our classes, that’s because we saw the amazing results it had in Tel Aviv!
Any questions? Write us an email: email@example.com or call us: +49 (0) 30 - 40 36 4 36 36*
* You will most likely reach us Monday, Tuesday, Thursday or Friday from 12 - 2pm. If not, we promise to call or write back within a day.