Lindy Hop Fundamentals
Day & Time: Monday, 21:00 – 22:00
Dates: 21.02.2022 – 28.03.2022
We’re now ready to dig deeper into classic Lindy Hop. You’ll learn how to dance some of the most beloved classic moves, popularized by the legendary Frankie Manning. You’ll also learn fundamentals of leading and following turns in swing dancing, and dig deeper into swing music and how you can draw inspiration from it for your dancing.
Each of these moves will come with its own fun variations, but this checklist shows the fundamental moves you’ll learn in the class. Once you know these, you’re ready to move on to the next level.
- face-to-face: promenade; slingshot with turn
- opening up: sendout with redirection; follower’s and leader’s underarm turn, left-side pass
- musicality: dancing to swing melody and phrasing
Swing 2 is a natural progression from Swing 1, where we continue developing things we started there. If you’ve been taking beginner courses elsewhere, this might be a great place for you to start with us; just email us at [email protected]
When dancing with a partner, we talk about “Leaders” and “Followers”. Classically, the person dancing in the role of leader initiates movements and directions and the follower interprets and actively dances them. However, there is no hierarchy to the roles and throughout the dance both partners continuously make decisions on how and where to go.
Click here to get more detailed explanations of the roles.
At SwingStep, we encourage everybody to see themselves as dancers rather than leaders or followers. This is why we strive to give everybody the opportunity to learn the dance from the leader and follower perspectives. This is known as “Everybody Leads and Everybody Follows” or “Switch dancing”.
We generally leave it up to our teachers to decide how to communicate and manage roles within a dance class. We are indicating what you can expect inside the sign up form in the field “Select your Role”:
- Leader / Follower: If you are asked to select a role during sign up, during these classes you are generally going to learn to dance in the role you selected, though occasionally teachers may invite you to try out the other role too.
- Single Person: If it is a partner class, you’ll get the opportunity to learn the content from both perspectives. This will allow you to deepen your understanding of the concepts and ideas more deeply, dance with anyone in the class and never have to wait for the right amount of “opposite roles” to show up so that you can dance. Switching roles can either happen in a structured way, where the teachers invite you to change your dance role in regular intervals, or in an organic way, where the teachers leave it up to you and your dance partner at any given time to switch roles according to your own wishes and needs.
When you book a subscription with us, you’ll have access to any classes you want as well as all the online classes. If you have primarily explored the dance from one perspective, you can use your subscription to join classes that suit you to explore the role you have less experience in.
Question: What if I feel too challenged doing both roles?
Answer: We encourage you to take care of your own needs at this moment. For example, make an agreement with your dancing partner to either get the help you need or revert to your stronger role.
Question: What if I only want to learn one role?
Answer: We encourage learning both roles, because it makes you a more flexible dancer and brings more dancing opportunities (and also fun). However, we will not force you to switch roles. Take care of your own preferences and needs.
Question: What if I want to only dance with my partner?
Answer: We strongly encourage you to rotate and explore the dance with everybody in the class. However, we will not force you to rotate or switch. Take care of your own preferences and needs.
Want to Join Swing 2?
Step 1: Select a payment option below and fill out the form
Step 2: (While logged in) Select this course again and sign up
6-Class Package for a couple
If you want to take classes with us, but you don’t want to commit to a subscription yet, then this option is for you.
This package is intended for couples who want to sign up for classes together.
You can also purchase this package as a single person, to have even more tickets available for yourself 🙂
All Info at Once
Here’s where Swing 2 takes place:
Ballhaus Prinzenallee, Prinzenallee 33, 13359 Berlin
Enter through the big gate, the entrance is in the backyard
Osloer Str./Prinzenallee (M13)
Prinzenallee/Soldiner Straße (Bus M27)